Surprise surprise, you did never expect a Government owned enterprise to be so enterprising but MTNL has done it. It has developed not one but three Apps for Android smart phones and tablets. All the three Apps are in available in APK form only and not available on the Google Play. Dont know the reason for MTNL not putting them on Google Play however if you are a Mumbai resident or need Mumbai telephone numbers frequently, this are the Apps to go to.
The first of the App is called MtnlSelfCare and as the name suggest it lets do the following :
1. Register or book a new telephone Landline or Broadband connection online from within the App.
2. You can book Leased circuits for your businesses.
3. You can pay your MTNL Landline/Broadband bill from within the App.
4. This is the best feature of this lot. You can book a complaint through the App for your landline/broadband faults and keep a track of the MTNL's work on your faults. You can also track your new application details through this App.
5. You can also register/un-register for your ebills through this App.
The next one is really good one. MTNL directory services Apk called Directory_mtnl. This one is a very useful App for all Android users in Mumbai. It will give you the option to search the information you require through your 2G/3G data connection or if you dont have data connection through SMS.
The App also has various search options so that you are not stuck anywhere while searching for a number/name of the person.
* Search name and address by telephone number.
* Search telephone number by name and address.
* Search new telephone number by old telephone number.
* Other Information on MTNL Mumbai Directory like-
* Online Directory Service 1297 Service
* CNAS Service
The third App is called CustomerConnect. I don't understand why MTNL has released a separate Apk for this one. It could have included it in the SelfCare App. However it has published the same and the features of CustomerConnect are :
* Knowing the information of various plans being launched by the MTNL, Mumbai related to Mobile, Landline, Broadband, Blackberry, VAS, and Data Services.
* Display MTNL Customer Service Centre (CSC) as per the location/area specified by the user.
* Provides download forms and files.
* Display selected CSC location on Google map.
* Sort and display list of plans according to the likes
In my opinion only the first to are really good and required to be downloaded, out of which the Directory services App is a must have for all Mumbai residents who have Android smart phones or tablets. You can download all the three Apps from this website.