With appropriate Android device and the apt TV remote apps you can control your Television sets without their remote controls.
Misplacing the TV remote control and searching for it just when one of the most interesting show is to be seen can be really annoying. Thanks to the advanced technology, with the built in IR (Infra Red) blaster we can now use the super advanced Android devices to control our Television sets provided they have the right TV remote apps installed in them. Some apps also allows to control the TV over Wi-Fi.
Below listed are the Top 9 TV remote apps for Android Device:
- Easy Universal TV Remote: This is one of the first app in the Google Play store which allows the Android device to control a television set. As the name implies it is actually very easy to operate and universal with the added benefit that it can be used to control any type of television. Although some minor compatibility issues have been identified by some users; however this app has been recommended as a must app for all the smartphone users. Further, the UI is pretty easy and it displays all the basic information without cluttering the entire screen. This app resembles more or less like a remote control with well placed buttons. The best part of this app is that smartphones without IR blaster can also use this app to control the TV set. Suppose, if there is IR blaster in the smartphone it would function as a TV remote without the need of Wi-Fi. This app can be downloaded for free of cost. To download the Easy Universal TV Remote click this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.easy.tv.remote
- Twinone IR Remote: This is an universal IR remote control which can be downloaded for free of cost. With its simplistic design this IR remote app helps user to control all the IR enabled devices including stuff such as TV, air conditioner, cable box with their built in IR blaster. So, here the smartphones need to have built in IR blaster as well as the devices need to be IR enabled for this app to work. Users have given a mixed review regarding the functionality of this app, it seems the app can work fine when it comes to controlling the channels and volume however in other areas this app is not of much use. Users can give this app a try anyways it is a free app. To download the Twinone IR Remote click this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.twinone.irremote
- Smart IR Remote: Smart IR Remote not only controls TV but it brings a range of remote controls to the smartphone as it can control the air conditioner and DSLR cameras as well. Hence, this one app can act as "all in one" remote. The UI can adapt to any situation. This app is not compatible with few brands such as LG, Sony, Vizio, Huawei smartphones. Further the app also has lot of features that includes device specific ones such as air gesture for Galaxy devices. The app also provides certain additional widgets, backup facility and some awesome automated tasks. One has to pay some minimal charges to get this app downloaded and it is not free of cost. To download the Smart IR Remote click this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.remotefairy&hl=en
- Unified Remote Full: Basically the Unified Remote Full is an application for people using the Home Theatre PC (HTPC). With this application user can control Windows, Mac, Linux computers with their smartphones. This application imitates a mouse and keyboard thus helping users to search Netflix or even click on the required videos using the application. Further, this application also has a built in support for 90 apps that includes a media player, power control, file management to name a few. Besides the application also includes Google Chrome, PowerPoint, XBMC (Kodi), VLC, Winamp, iTunes and Spotify. One has to pay some minimal charges to get this app downloaded and it is not free of cost. To download the Unified Remote Full click this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Relmtech.RemotePaid
- Xbox One SmartGlass: The Xbox One SmartGlass app is a free app and a must for those who have the Xbox One. The most important feature of Xbox One is that is can be linked to the cable TV and used as Set-Top box. The Xbox One SmartGlass app lets user control the Xbox One as a game console, a message center because user can reply to the Xbox messages using their smartphone and the app and user can also control the Xbox as a set top box. Further, this app also works over WiFi hence there is no need of an IR blaster. So with this app user can control many things just with Wifi and this app. An advanced version of this app is also available for Xbox 360 and this is helpful in case users want to connect to Netflix or watch any locally stored videos or music. To download the Xbox One SmartGlass click this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.xboxone.smartglass
- Manufacturer Specific apps: Of late the market has been flooded with smart TVs from different manufacturers. Further, these manufacturers have released their official apps for Android devices that are exclusive for their brand. The app supports old Smart TVs which were made in 2011. Users need to pair the TV and the remote app by connecting it at the same wireless network. The advantage here is that it can work over Wi-Fi and do not require the IR blaster in the smartphone to control the television set. Thus using the Manufacturer specific apps is much more reliable, stable and easy to use. Now, as per the brand of the TV various specific apps have been built for them. Let us consider the example of LG smart TV there is LG TV Remote (linked) which is specific for LG smart TV only. Similarly there are apps for brands like Vizio, Samsung and other Smart TVs that have been launched in the market. Users need to search for their brand specific apps from the Google Play store. This is again a free app for all the brands. For LG TV users there is LG TV Remote app which can be downloaded from this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lge.tv.remoteapps Similarly Vizio TV users can get the VizRemote (TV remote control app) from this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lge.tv.remoteapps Samsung TV users can get the Remote for Samsung TV app from this link : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lge.tv.remoteapps
- OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) specific apps: Most devices already have a built-in IR remote app which has been given by the OEM during the time of shipping and it can be used free of charge. Though these apps are generally light on features but they do work some of the time. And if these work then users need not download any other app from the play store. In addition, the devices would also sport specific features that the OEM remote app will have incorporated in that particular device which will not be found in some other device of different make. Users can definitely give this app a try. This is a free app. Peel Smart Remote app is one such OEM specific app for the HTC smartphone. Users can get this downloaded from the below given link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.peel.app
- Yatse, the XBMC / Kodi Remote: This is a remote solution for those who use XMBC/Kodi as the main media player on their TV sets. With this remote app user will be able to control their XBMC installation. This remote app comprises of certain features such as voice control, Android Wear support, Cloud saving and various other configuration options. It has been observed that it works well with most of the TV sets. This is a free app which can take complete control of the media center with its library supports, beautiful widgets, streaming, offline media sync, internal audio player all of which are optimized for smartphones and Tablet users. To download the Yatse Remote app click this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.leetzone.android.yatsewidgetfree
- Chromecast: Chromecast is a thumb sized media streaming dongle which can be plugged into the HDMI port of the TV. With a help of a smartphone or Tablet or laptop user can directly stream their favorite entertainment and apps into their TV. The official Chromecast app can be used by users in case they wish to use apps like Hulu, Netflix, YouTube and other entertainment apps via Chromecast to stream it in their TV. This app can connect their device to the WiFi network, personalize the TV screen, Change the WiFi password and device name; however controlling volume and changing the TV channel is not possible. Users need to spend $25 to buy the device and the app can be used for free of cost. The app can be downloaded from this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app
These are the Top 9 TV remote apps that our team feels are one of the best and can be given a try by our readers. If you have any other app which you feel should have been included in this list then please leave the details in the comments section to benefit other readers. Any other suggestions are also welcome.